You’ve landed on the right article in case you’ve always desired longer, fuller & darker lashes!
Cons of The Makeup Look
So, the good makeup stuff you’ve been using like mascara, extensions, and even false eyelashes definitely help you in making your eyelashes look fuller however, at the same time, they are also damaging your natural eyelashes! Ever thought that you could replace it all with a longer and permanent solution that doesn’t need to be retouched or removed before bed? Well, that’s quite possible & this is where eyelash serums step in!
Eyelash growth serums condition the lashes and encourage overall growth. The market is filled with various types of eyelashes and today Dr. Jaspreet will guide you on how to pick the one that is right for you. But before all that, there are various concepts revolving around eyelash growth that one should understand first.
The Eyelash Growth Cycle
It is estimated that the majority of people have approximately 100 to 160 lashes along their upper lash line, with each lash being made up of a hair shaft and a root that actually growths the eyelash.
The eyelash growth cycle is no different from the hair on your head. The cycle includes three stages in particular;
- The Growth Phase (Anagen): This phase lasts between 4 to 9 weeks and approximately at any given point of time about 40% of your eyelashes are in this phase.
- The Degradation Phase (Catagen): This phase lasts for approximately 2 weeks.
- The Resting Phase (Telogen): This phase lasts for as long as 9 months! The remainder of your 50% eyelashes is in this phase at any given point of time.
Once the resting phase is over, the eyelashes fall out and the eyelash growth cycle begins again. This is why you notice lashes on your pillow in the morning at times.
Why Do The Eyelashes Fall Out?
Shedding lashes is a natural part of the growth cycle, having said that, the key to lash growth is to encourage more growth during the anagen phase while also preventing the lases from falling out by giving them a bit of extra care.
How Much Time Do Eyelashes Take to Grow Naturally?
In their natural process, the growth cycle of your eyelashes is considerably shorter than the growth cycle of the hair on your scalp. Also, on average, approximately 0.12mm – 0.14mm of growth is seen every single day.
Why Do Eyelashes Naturally Vary In Everyone?
There are many reasons that the visual appearance of the eyelashes varies a lot in everyone. For example, one could have short, sparse, or even very light eyelashes due to any of the below-mentioned reasons;
Age: As we get older, just like the hair on the head, your eyelash tends to become more sparse as well. The growth cycle of the hair begins to slow down and it starts taking much longer to grow new lashes than it takes to shed them.
Improper Care: This is where the good are bit comes in, using makeup that hurts the natural eyelashes as mascaras or extensions can lead to brittle & short lashes.
Genetics: Another factor that is beyond our control. Genetics has a big role to play in how the natural appearance of your lashes is.
Nutrition: Every hair follicle on your body needs a certain amount of vitamins & minerals to grow healthy hair. In case they are not getting these nutrients then the growth suffers.
Medical Conditions: Certain conditions like hypothyroidism or alopecia can lead to loss of lashes. It can also be a side effect of a certain medicine that you might have been prescribed for some other unrelated ailment. In case you feel that the shedding is happening due to a medical condition then it’s always suggested to take this up with your physician.
Easy Ways To Naturally Speed Up The Eyelash Growth Cycle
Before we come to the serum bit, let’s talk about easy ways to naturally speed up eyelash growth;
- Avoid using mascara as it can actually dry out the eyelashes hence making them brittle.
- Ditch eyelash curlers, not much to say here, they literally pull out your eyelashes. Over time these lost eyelashes do start showing visually.
- Always remove the makeup before bed, never ever leave it on overnight! Applying mascara for an outing is one thing and leaving it overnight and letting the eyelashes dry out is another! Also always remove the makeup very gently, rashly removing makeup can also lead to eyelashes needlessly shedding!
- Apply Vitamin E oil as it has proven to be a potent antioxidant that protects the lash hairs by providing the necessary moisturization. NEVER get the oil into your eyes, be very careful while applying it.
How Do Eyelash Serums Work?
Eyelash serums work by simply nourishing the lashes & encouraging overall eyelash growth.
The 3 Types of Eyelash Serums
Based on the ingredients, they are of 3 types:
- Vitamin-Based: These serums work by nourishing the lashes outside-in. They can prevent breakage and fallout which eventually leads to longer & healthier-looking eyelashes.
- Prostaglandin-Derived: These serums work by artificially extending the growth cycle of the lashes we spoke of. These are effective but also have serious side effects! In fact, the side effects completely outweigh the benefits and these are something that one should actually avoid as the FDA has even issued warnings against their usage.
- Peptide-Based: Peptides are small proteins that stimulate follicle growth to boost overall hair production. Apply them to the lash line in order to grow more hair. They have fewer side effects than Prostaglandin-Derived serums.
Which Eyelash Serum Should I Go For?
Now that we’ve told you about the 3 major types of eyelash serums. One thing is clear that Prostaglandin-Derived serums should be fully avoided. Now coming to the other two, while purely vitamin-based lash serums don’t boost the hair growth that well however they do an excellent job of improving the condition of the lashes. Dr. Jaspreet recommends finalizing a serum that contains both, peptides & vitamins and has also been clinically proven to be safe!
In case you’d like to know more about how to take care of your eyelash growth, you may book a consultation with Dr. Jaspreet by calling us at +91-8826141232.